By Marshall Clagett
This quantity is a part of Marshall Clagett's three-volume learn of some of the features of technological know-how of historic Egypt. quantity covers calendars, clocks, and astonomical monuments. inside each one region of therapy there's a reasonable chronology glaring as merits a historic paintings overlaying 3 millenia of task. contains greater than a hundred illustrations of records and clinical items.
Read or Download Ancient Egyptian Science: A Source Book. Volume Two: Calendars, Clocks, and Astronomy PDF
Best astronomy books
Radio pulsars are swiftly rotating, hugely magnetized neutron stars. This complete booklet brings jointly key observational ideas, historical past info and a assessment of the most recent effects, together with the new discovery of a double pulsar method. worthy software program instruments are supplied to investigate instance info, made to be had on a similar web site.
There are a minimum of forty eight pointed out prehistoric stone circles in Scotland. honestly, little or no is understood concerning the those that erected them, and eventually approximately what the stone circles have been for. such a lot stone circles are astronomically aligned, which has resulted in the trendy debate over the importance of the alignments.
IAU Transactions are released as a quantity resembling every one common meeting. quantity A is produced ahead of the meeting and includes experiences on Astronomy, ready through each one fee President. The purpose is to summarize the astronomical effects that experience affected the paintings of the fee because the creation of the former studies as much as a time that is approximately 12 months ahead of the overall meeting.
Small telescopes have much to suggest them. rate is naturally a attention, yet their so much confident characteristic is sheer portability. a few brands have attempted to make huge telescopes extra moveable (with combined success), however the contrary strategy, that of constructing small telescopes more beneficial, is what this booklet is all approximately.
- Flavor, Fragance, and Odor Analysis (Ray Marsili) (Marcel Dekker, by polyto
- 2015 An Astronomical Year: A Reference Guide to 365 Nights of Astronomy
- Handbook of Practical Astronomy
- Spotter's Guide to The Night Sky
- Deep-Sky Wonders
Extra resources for Ancient Egyptian Science: A Source Book. Volume Two: Calendars, Clocks, and Astronomy
1. note 13), since the year shared between each of these pharaohs and his -28- CALENDARS, CLOCKS, ASTRONOMY predecessor (probably in the first case and certainly in the second) adds up to twelve months and five days. Another probable reference to the civil calendar occurs in the Ann/lIs for the reign of Neferirkare where it is noted that in the first year of his reign ceremonies took place for the "Birth of the Gods: which in all likelihood were ceremonies devoted to the gods of the epagomenal days (ibid, n.
10) (tp) 1M (II) tp smdt (12) fJb nb r C nb or variant.... ,- CALENDARS, CLOCKS, ASTRONOMY feasts in which the dead expected to take part. This order. it is easily demonstrated. can be nothing other than chronological. Whatever may be the exact meaning of IVp rnpt and tpy mpr. they clearly belong at the head of 8 list. If we now check feasts 4 to 8 against the later temple calendars (Medinet Habu and the Greco-Roman temples), we rind the following dates in the civil year on which they were celebrated, (4) 'IV~ I 'br 18 (5) bb SKr 1111 fIJI 26 (6) pb lilT II prt 4 (7) db (wr) JI prt 9 (Edfu) III prt I (Il1ahun) (8) prt Mn J 5m IV II (Med.
1. line 11 of the extract from that tomb; and see the contrary opinion of E. 1). There is as well a reference to the epagomenal days in the Pyalmid Texts (Sect. , making) of the braziers, the birth of the gods before you in the five epagomenal days